Soundings, an eclectic 174-page collection of 16 South Shore short stories, was a year in the making.
Soundings presents a collection of short stories contributed by fourteen Nova Scotia short story writers (list and location below) as well as an origin-of-lyrics story and lyrics and poems by other South Shore writers.
The the settings of stories are positioned where authors live. Geographically, they are set along the South Shore and a few inland locations between Glen Margaret in Halifax County, through Lunenburg County and as far as Liverpool in Queens County, Nova Scotia.
Email Pat Thomas at ed[email protected] or call her at 902-858-2030 for information about where copies of Soundings can be purchased.
Pat Thomas is editor and publisher with WindyWood Publishing. Print run was through Marquis Printing in Sherbrook, Quebec. Soundings: South Shore retail price is $20.00, taxes in.
PAT THOMAS' EDITING EXPERIENCE:
Pat Thomas works with publishing houses and independent authors to take manuscripts through three levels of editing to publication.
She also takes on publishing projects through her company, WindyWood Publishing, in Hubbards Nova Scotia. Books published by WindyWood are printed by a Canadian company, or available as print on demand, or e-books through all popular distribution systems.
Most of Pat's professional time is spent working with indie authors producing series of novels. Pat's focus is to ensure consistency and correctness in the books she edits, as well as a satisfying read.
Her editing experience spans 13 years and close to 200 titles.
EDITS BY PAT HAVE RECEIVED THESE AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
· Finalist for 2017 RWA, Rita Award: Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance
. Finalist for the Carolyn Readers Choice Award 2017
. Write Touch Award 2016
· National Excellence in Romance Fiction Finalist 2016
· Book Buyer's Best Finalist OCC-RWA 2016
· Winner 2016 Reader Views Award, Best Romance
· International Digital Awards Finalist, Contemporary Novel
· I Heart Indie Winner
· Winner Heart of Excellence Reader's Choice 2015
· Winner Reader Views Best Romance 2015
· Winner Aspen Gold Readers Choice 2015
· Hold Medallion Award Finalist 2015
· Book Buyers Best Finalist 2015
· Winner of Whitney YA Award 2014
· First place, best novella: Bookstores Without Borders LYRA Contest 2014
· Nominated for YA Cybils Awards
· Gold Medal for Romance, Editor's Choice Awards·
· Nominated for Romance Reviews Best PNRs
· Romantic Times Awards
· Book Buyers Best Finalist
· Book Buyers Best Contest finalist Suspense Thriller Category 2016
· Strictly Single Contest 3rd Place
· Agent's Choice Finalist
· Heart of Excellence Readers' Choice Award
· Holt Medallion Award of Merit
· Book Buyers Best Orange Rose Contest Finalist
· National Readers' Choice Award Finalists
· TRR finalist standings for Best Historical Romance, 2012
· Reader Views Literary Awards: Regional Canada East Winner
· Reader Views, Best Romance, Winner
· Laurel Wreath Finalist, Non-fiction Novella
· Winner, LYRA Award, Best Novella, Bookstores Without Borders
· Winner, Reader Views Award 2015
· Winner, Best Novella, Hearts Through History RWA
· Finalist, National Excellence in Romance
· RWNZ Strictly Single Contest 2010
· RWNZ Agent's Choice Finalist 2010
PAT'S EDITS APPEAR ON THESE LISTS:
· Best Books List by Barnes and Noble
· Amazon Bestsellers list
· New York Review of Books Independent Press listing 2009
· Independent Publisher Award Winners' lists
. Apple iBooks 'Book of the Week'
· Canada Reads longlist of Top 40 Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade
· Some books edited by Pat Thomas received other forms of praise:
· Favourable Kirkus Reviews
· Finalist in the Reader Views Literary Program
· Received Rising Star Awards
Pat is working on two books based on her years working as an editor with genre fiction authors. Her books will be released in 2018. These books are based on editing notes made while working with genre fiction writers and writers of series fiction as a freelance editor.
JUNE 2018... STYLE OBSCURA SERIES
BOOK #1: GENRE FICTION: DIALOGUE DILEMMAS
AUGUST 2018... STYLE OBSCURA SERIES
BOOK #2: GENRE FICTION: WORKING WITH FREELANCE EDITORS
*For information, email Pat Thomas at [email protected]
or phone 1-902-858-2030
Pat is a member of WFNS, RWAC and RWA. She was a member of Editors Canada for more than ten years. She enjoys attending conferences and presenting workshops and talking about how the idea of "authorship" has changed and how it continues to change as people imagine possibilities and work toward their writing potential. She loves to watch authors develop and change and branch out into new arenas.
When she has time, she enjoys writing and reading. She appreciates new twists to old stories and is especially pleased when a writer surprises and delights her. A tear falling or a chuckle from her on a third pass is a treasure. Readers and creating great books for them is her focus.
Pat Thomas has thirteen years editing experience as a freelancer, working with publishing houses and with independent authors who choose self-publishing. She edits for writers in the United States, Canada, Australia and Great Britain ? all from her home in the beautiful seaside village of Hubbards, Nova Scotia.
Please review some of Pat's editing credits and series edits to understand the scope of Pat's editing experience and the success she's achieved with her authors. Repeat business speaks for itself.
The services Pat Thomas and Chelsea Thornton provide includes these:
Edits are done in one to three passes through a manuscript, depending on the needs of the manuscript and what the client requests:
Pat and her Assistant Editor, Chelsea complete edits using Track Changes and Comment features in Word or Google docs. They also have several proofreaders for hire ? who, for a fee will comment and make suggestions for ARCs and provide honest reviews upon completion of the editing process.
WindyWood's editors focus on ensuring a compelling story first and beyond that, readability, consistency of style, and correctness – all working together to produce a smooth and satisfying read for readers.
Once you are on the roster, no more lengthy, drawn-out waiting times that hold you back from publishing frequently or that stress you out when you have promised pre-orders or have other tight deadlines. Book ahead with Pat and actual time working with this editor can be as little as six weeks, from start to finish – including three editorial passes.
Every edit comes from a place that recognizes the potential and unique appeal of each story...and this editor knows that your manuscript can be enhanced by applying your correct and consistent style across books in your series, so that each read connects and excites readers to eagerly anticipate and look for your next book. – Pat Thomas
Pat loves reading and writing, and listening to music as well as editing. Three years ago she put out a call for writers to form a writing group in Hubbards, Nova Scotia. Interest was huge. Hubbards Writers held their first Hubbards Writers Festival for writers and editors, in Hubbards, Nova Scotia in the spring of 2015 and the Hubbards Writers Festival 2016 will be in June this year: Fiction to Film: Writing Across Platforms. Hubbards Writers teamed with Women in Film and Television Atlantic for this, their latest Festival.
Pat has used some of her precious "free" time to develop her skills as a painter and is intrigued by ravens after living a year up north in Dawson City. Pat's working on a creative non-fiction book: Raven.
Pat Thomas has her own small press – WindyWood Publishing and provides some writing coaching through her company as well.
MAEd: Thesis Writing as a Social Act (Governor General Gold Medalist)
BSc Acadia University (achieved double major in Science/English, MSVU . 2005)
BEd: Acadia University
Additional editing courses in Professional Writing and Rhetoric, Editing, and Copy Editing at MSVU and Ryerson University
Past member, Editors Canada and Hubbards Writers
Trustee, Awesome South ShoreMetro Christian Writers Member
Board Member/Treasurer Hubbards Writers Society 2017
Board Member Hubbards and Area Business Association 2017
Founder and Chairperson Hubbards Writers Festival 2015, 2016
Painting: Raven Going Far Acrylic painting by Pat Thomas
Current writing project: Raven – Kavod