1 – Dialogue Dilemmas
Frustrated figuring out how to write different variations of dialogue without confusing your readers?
Written dialogue represents communication and that key element of communication doesn’t change when people are side by side in the same room or separated by thousands of miles and an ocean or texting from another side of the same city… It doesn’t matter where the two or more people are, they can still a conversation but how that happens with today’s technology poses some challenges for writers. Dialogue represents communication regardless of where and how it takes place, whether it’s in real time or reported from the past. That raises several questions, not the least being How do writers handle all the variations in conversations whether by rubbing shoulders, side by side, or miles apart? What happens when you have six or seven types of dialogue in the same manuscript and how do you cue readers to these. One key point stands out…
Pat will share Key points from Dr. Barnes amazing Fandom presentation at the NINC Conference last fall. She’ll clarify some of what writers would do well to consider and plan for and apply when working on their novels to broaden their appeal to a wide demographic, a demographic that if handled properly and fed regularly, will clamor for more. Meta cognition, Theory of Mind, ways to understand what can heighten the reading experience and help you build a loyal, even fanatic fan base for your books and/or series will be discussed. Some insights will be added from other sessions as well.
NARRATIVE STYLE & SERIES CONSIDERATIONS:
Pat Thomas – Editor – In Style Obscura books on editing she presents what she's learned, based on her experiences editing works of fiction for more than twelve years. Style Obscura touches on elements of writing and editing fiction and spans several years in the writing. Due for release in January 2017.
1. EDITING $40.00/HR OR BY THE JOB (SEE CONTACT INFO AND COSTS PAGE).
2. MENTORING OF AUTHORS TO COMPLETE MANUSCRIPTS FOR PUBLICATION.
3. WORKSHOPS ON "INDIE PUBBING" OR "HOW TO SELF-EDIT BEFORE SUBMITTING OR UPLOADING."
4. WORKSHOPS ON SELF-PUBLISHING' OR OTHER RELATED TOPICS. COST IS $200.00 PER TWO-HOUR SESSION (PLUS TRAVEL)
5. ONE-TO-ONE CONSULT: MANUSCRIPT IN HAND: $40.00 /HOUR
6. PRESENTATIONS/WORKSHOPS FOR HIGH SCHOOL CLASSES OR ENGLISH STAFF:SETTING UP A WRITING GROUPHERO'S JOURNEYMANUSCRIPT EDITINGSTYLE SHEETSARCHETYPESCHARACTERCRITIQUING TO SUPPORTPLOTTINGPUBLISHING THROUGH WATTPAD, DRAFT2DIGITAL, KOBO, KINDLE & CREATESPACEUSING TRACK CHANGES & COMMENT FEATURES IN WORD or google DOCSINDIE PUBLISHING FOR STUDENT WRITERS($100.00 PER CLASS: MIN 3 CLASSES PER VISIT)